USA UK France Soviet Germany Italy Hungary Japan Other

Welcome to the D-day site:

Here you can find the latest news and information and browse the extensive archives of this long running project.

If you have any questions please use the forums or leave a message in the shout box on this page.

You can also follow D-day on Moddb, Facebook & Twitter.
v3.8 Beta Progress bar: 50%

Japanese Self Propelled Guns,

We once more delve into the seemingly never ending Japanese unit list with some of their late war self propelled guns.

Click of the unit names to visit their D-day wiki page for more information & pictures.

120mm Naval Short

In the closing stages of the war the Japanese navy modified fourteen Type 97 Chi-Ha "Shinhoto" tanks, fitting them with a short barrelled 120mm naval gun. The massive weapon required multiple recoil cylinders and could only just fit inside the Chi-Ha's small turret. Because of this an extension was built onto the back of the turret to hold the ammunition. There also wasn't any space inside the tank for the crew to loading the gun, so instead the loader had to stand on top of the tank and push the ammunition threw the back of the turret. All of the tanks were issued to the Japanese Special Naval Landing Forces who deployed them to several bases around Japan to defend against the expected American invasion.

120mm Naval Long

When American occupation forces entered Tateyama gunnery school in Yokosuka they discovered a Type 97 Chi-Ha tank that had been modified by removing the turret and fitted it with a 120mm Type 10 naval cannon. Only a single vehicle was found and it is unclear if it was a makeshift weapon built by the gunnery school or if it was a prototype there for testing. Due to the weapons extreme weight and powerful recoil it is dubious that the Chi-Ha's light riveted hull could survive the stress of firing the weapon for long. However it would have been be a great threat to any Allied armour.

Type 5 Ho-Chi

The Type 5 Ho-Chi was a project to mount a Type 96 150mm artillery cannon onto the hull of the Type 97 Chi-Ha. It is believed that the Osaka arsenal built and tested the weapon and mount but wasn't able to fit it onto a prototype tank before the war ended.

Posted November 24, 2015 by

Polish Trucks,

With this news post we return to Poland for some Trucking. While not as glamorous as their armoured brethren, these units form the core of your base and will keep your economy flowing.

Click of the unit names to visit their D-day wiki page for more information & pictures.


The PZInz.713 was heavy transport truck designed in 1937 by the Państwowe Zakłady Inżynieryjne (National Engineering Works) to replace the licence built Italian Polski Fiat 621L. A limited series of 100 vehicles was produced during 1939 with mass production of twenty thousand to start the following year. In September 1939 the Germans and Soviets invaded Poland putting a halt to all production. As fighting intensified and Poland's fate seemed bleak, a convoy of PZInz.713 trucks was loaded with Poland's gold reserves and evacuate to Romania.

The PZInz.713 is used as Poland's construction vehicle

Polski Fiat 621L

Initially Poland bought the Fiat 621 directly from factories in Italy, however it was soon found that the design struggled on some of Poland's rougher roads. Even with this problem the Fiat 621 was still liked so PZInz designed a new version with a reinforced chassis and a more powerful engine to better fit Polish needs. A licence to produce this modified design in Poland was agreed on and production started in 1935 with thirteen thousand being built by 1939, making it one of the most numerous trucks in Poland during the 1930's.

The Polski Fiat 621L is used as the pre/early-war supply vehicle


The PZInz.342 was a wheeled prime mover designed to replace the half track C4P in the role of towing artillery and anti-aircraft guns. By August 1939 five prototypes had been completed, an order for a further 200 was placed with mass production expected to start early next year. The fate of the five prototypes is unknown, none of them survived the war.

The PZInz.342 is used as the mid/late-war supply vehicle


The Lublin-51 was a Polish licence built copy of the Soviet GAZ-51 truck, which was the standard truck used by the communist bloc countries post-war. Production started in November 1951 and continued until 1959 with seventeen an a half thousand being built, many of which still survive today in various forms ranging from simple farm trucks to racing hot-rods!

The Lublin-51 is used as the post-war supply vehicle

Posted November 23, 2015 by

Japanese Heavy Tank Destroyers,

Japan brings out the big guns with these five heavy tank destroyers.

Click of the unit names to visit their D-day wiki page for more information & pictures.

Type 5 Ho-Ri (Concept)

Development of the Type 5 Ho-Ri tank destroyer started in 1942 in parallel with the Type 5 Chi-Ri medium tank, which it would share some components with. The design seen here is the early concept for the Ho-Ri which features a distinctive sloped front plate, unique among Japanese tanks.

Type 5 Ho-Ri

As work on the Type 5 Ho-Ri tank destroyer and Type 5 Chi-Ri medium tank progressed it was decided to change the original sloped front plate and use the same layout at the Chi-Ri. While decreasing frontal protection this change added a 37mm cannon and machine gun to the front hull greatly increasing the tank's defensive fire power.

Type 5 Ho-Ri II

In a further effort to simplify production the fighting compartment of the Type 5 Ho-Ri was moved from the rear of the tank to the center, making the hull design unified with that of the Type 5 Chi-Ri. After three years of development and multiple variants the war ended before work on a prototype could started, ending what would have been one of Japan's most powerful tank designs of WW2.

Type 5 Na-To

With invasion by the Americans looming over their homeland the Japanese launched an emergency project to develop a new tank destroyer in the shortest possible time. Using the Type 4 Chi-So prime mover as the base the rear cargo area was opened up and a 75mm Type 5 cannon was placed on the roof. Two prototypes of this makeshift tank destroyer where built and tested, a further 200 more where ordered but the war ended before mass production could start.

Type 5 Ka-To

While the development of the Type 5 Na-To was proceeded with as quickly as possible using readily available components, the Type 5 Ka-To was designed from scratch as an more advance alternative. The height was decreased making it less of a target against enemies, It was also lengthened with an extra road wheel and the gun was changed from 75mm to 105mm greatly increasing it's firepower. The war ended before work on a prototype could start and it remained a paper project.

Posted November 20, 2015 by

Chi-Ri II tanks,

Once again we return to Japan for more obscure tanks designed in the death throes of the empire.

Click of the unit names to visit their D-day wiki page for more information & pictures.

Type 5 Chi-Ri II

The Type 5 Chi-Ri II was Japan's last tank design of WW2, an evolution of the Type 5 Chi-Ri. The ambitious design of the Chi-Ri's belt-fed weapon system proved to be to dificalt and was cancelled. With this feature removed the Chi-Ri's large turret was no longer necessary and in turn the large engine needed to power it too. With the removal of these the Chi-Ri II could be made smaller and more compact, this gave it a similar layout to the Type 4 Chi-To though. Because of this the Chi-Ri II was cancelled in favour of the Chi-To which was already fully developed.

Type 5 Chi-Ri II TD

The Type 5 Chi-Ri II TD was a proposed variant of the Type 5 Chi-Ri II, replacing the turret with a fixed superstructure. Development of the Chi-Ri II and in turn the Chi-Ri II TD was cancelled though and it remained only a paper project.

Posted November 18, 2015 by

American Airships,


Today D-day takes off with some unique and often overlooked american Airships.

Click of the unit names to visit their D-day wiki page for more information & pictures.

Airship Hanger

Constructing the Airship Hanger gives the player the ability to build special blimp units. The design is based on the hangers at Santa Ana Naval Air Station (now Marine Corps Air Station Tustin), which was built in 1942 to hold and service the US Navy's airships. After the war airship operations stopped but the base soon found new usage as a helicopter maintenance and training center for the Marine Corps. Today most of the base has been closed but one of the hangers is still being used by civilian airships.


The K-class were the US Navy's primary patrol and anti-submarine airship during WW2. They were used to patrol the American coastline and escort convoys for signs of German or Japanese submarines. Their greatest success though was at Gibraltar where they helped to blockade the entrance to the Mediterranean during the night, when it was to dangerous for normal aircraft to operate. After the war the K-class continued patrolling the coast of America for several more years but were slowly replaced with seaplanes equipped with new radar systems. There were plans in the 1950's to refit the K-class with nuclear depth charges but it proved to be to hazardous.

USS Macon

The USS Macon and it's sister ship the USS Akron are the second largest airships ever built, beaten by the German Hindenburg by only a few meters. They do however hold the distinction of being the only flying aircraft carriers ever built. Designed by the Goodyear Aircraft company in the early 1930's the Akron and Macon used an experimental trapeze system they could launch and recover up to five F9C Sparrowhawk planes from an internal hanger. Sadly the USS Akron was destroyed in April 1933 when it encountered a storm off the cost of New England and crashed into the sea, out of the 76 on board only 3 survived making it the greatest loss of life in an airship crash. During February 1935 the USS Macon also also found itself caught in a severe storm off the California cost, suffering structural failure it landed in the sea. Following the loss of the Akron life jackets and inflatable rafts where added to the Macon, which resulted in nearly the entire crew surviving. With the loss of both airships development of flying aircraft carriers was stopped.

Curtiss F9C Sparrowhawk

The Curtiss F9C Sparrowhawk was a fighter/scout plane made specificity for use on the USS Akron and USS Macon flying aircraft carriers. It was fitted with a hook on the top of the main wing which would be attached to a retractable trapeze underneath the carrier for launching an recovery. Even though the hook and trapeze system seemed complex most pilots noted that it was easier then landing on an pitching and rolling aircraft carrier at sea. After the loss of both the Akron and Macon only three Sparrowhawks remained, their hooks were removed and were relegated to utility duties. In 1939 one of them was given to the Smithsonian museum, several years later when it was restored the other two aircraft where cannibalised for parts, leaving just the single plane left which can still been seen today.

Posted November 17, 2015 by